Friday, November 6, 2020

What Happened (Part 4)

 

Here’s another one of my earliest memories. It has pathos, and intimacy, and poetry, and natural beauty, and it took place in a bathroom.

How old was I? I must have been three or four, young enough to have to ask Mom to take me to the bathroom at night. It was one of those bright, full moon nights when we didn't need to turn on the light, and I remember the high bathroom window's curtain was drawn back to let in a breeze. Mom looked up at the moon and chanted the old poem to me:

 

"I see the moon,

And the moon sees me.

The moon sees someone

I want to see."

 

I knew she was thinking about Pop, who was out on the road truck driving like he always was. It was wistful, and melancholy, and a bit dreamlike. It was one of the few times when we were little that I actually had her to myself (we could be clamorous and competing when we were in a herd), and we shared a moment. Somehow seeing the moon so high over the trees in the wind amid the wisps of flying clouds so late made me realize that the moon was always there, whether I was watching it or not, and the idea that Pop somewhere might be looking at it at the same time, gave me an inkling of how big and strange the world was.


No comments:

Post a Comment