Saturday, March 20, 2021

Tolkien's Ordinary Virtues


Today I determined that after about a year of staying away from our local public library I'd drop in for a quick visit, mainly to browse their little used bookstore. I've found some good things for very reasonable prices at the place.

What I found there today was what I call a 'peripheral' Middle-earth book. It is not a work by Tolkien. It does not even examine Tolkien's work for its own sake, or the literary phenomenon that Tolkien is. Instead it studies the Middle-earth stories for their spiritual themes, as if a fine loaf of bread were being examined for its vitamin and mineral content.

While such an approach is possible (and I have several other books that show it has been done), I am not sure if it something Tolkien himself would have approved of. He once called such an approach like cutting up a ball in search of its bounce. I get the feeling that this book exists for the discussion of 'ordinary virtues', and Middle-earth is the sauce that helps them go down.

However, I will never not buy a Tolkien-related book that I do not have, especially if it only costs one dollar. I have long-ago sussed out the moral (even Christian) content,  and do not mind having it gone over again. “Hobbits delighted in such things, if they were accurate; they liked to have books filled with things that they already knew, set out fair and square with no contradictions.” I even have hopes that it may reveal a fact or two that I never considered before, or show a connection that I never occurred to me.


1 comment:

  1. I have it and it gave a few insights I never considered nor encountered in any other of the many books about Tolkien or his works. It postulated that the ring started working on Frodo's feelings of abandonment. His parents died and left him, Bilbo left him, and he seemed to try to give his friends the slip all the time. Tolkien's seeming reason is that he didn't want to get them involved in a hopeless task, but this is something that certainly seems to fit in with the ring's ability to work on your deepest fears and fantasies. All these books help me, being a simple Hobbit at heart, and I get a spiritual boost when somebody puts my clumsy feelings into words.

    ReplyDelete