Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Somebody Always Leaves: CPB

 


“Why can't we get all the people together in the world that we really like and then just stay together? I guess that wouldn't work. Someone would leave. Someone always leaves. Then we would have to say good-bye. I hate good-byes. I know what I need. I need more hellos.”

― Charles M. Schulz


There is a proliferation of memes today, illustrated with Peanuts characters, full of rather sickly sentiment that seems to me quite foreign from Schulz's work. The original Peanuts - the real Peanuts - unstained by nostalgic glow, is Charlie Brown with his sleepless nights of worry, Snoopy with his sometimes callous hedonism, Linus with his philosophical quandaries, and Lucy with her crass pragmatism. They could, for scattered moments, shine gold, but it was their struggles, their humanity that endeared them to us, not easy, encouraging, greeting-card words. 


No comments:

Post a Comment