Thursday, February 17, 2022

Again, Patricia A. McKillip

On June 10, 2019, I offered to sell (on Facebook) all my Patricia A. McKillip books (excluding the Riddlemaster volumes), which amounted to “7 hardbacks … 2 softcovers … and 7 paperbacks” for $11, asking such a low price because I didn’t want to just sell them but to find them “a good home.” The reason I gave was that I was downsizing my library. I got nary an offer on them, nor on the other batches of books I offered. I eventually sent the others to my brother and his family in Florida but kept the McKillip. I am glad I did.

I am trying, at this distance of time, to ‘unriddle’ the reason I thought to sell them in the first place. Was it just a whim? Was I in one of my apocalyptic moods and clearing the decks? Did I despair of ever catching up with her output, which my extreme poverty at the time made unlikely? Or was it really, as I said, just to make room?

Well, whatever the reason, I am pleased it didn’t work out, because now the McKillip books I didn’t have have come down greatly in price, and I was able to order three new examples of her bejeweled prose. Two are softcover volumes of short stories, Wonders of the Invisible World (2012) and Dreams of Distant Shores (2016); they make a pretty pair. Charles de Lint and Peter S. Beagle supply an introduction and an afterword, respectively. There is a hardback novel, Kingfisher (also 2016). I haven’t had a chance to read them yet, and so I can’t say anything specific. But I have dipped into them, tasting a bit, and I think I can look forward some fine sessions ahead.

For more details on these books, see McKillip on the Wish List.

No comments:

Post a Comment