Monday, January 11, 2021

What Happened (Part 26)

 

After the show was over it was time for the news, and Mom would take over the TV.  The news was the grown-up’s department, and none of our problem or interest.  It was full of Vietnam coverage at the time, and I remember being completely indifferent to it, not worried or outraged or enthusiastic. I do remember waiting up one night to watch the moon landing. What I recall about that is the boredom of the wait and how fuzzy and black and white it all was. I was way too young to realize the wonder and achievement of the event; I had been more engaged by the exploits of the Three Stooges in space.  We went to look at the moon out of the bathroom window and tried to think about there being men on it, but the moon looked as it ever did, distant and mysterious and beyond human concern.  Mom, however, did watch the news and worried, worried about the world her boys were growing up in.


No comments:

Post a Comment