Friday, January 29, 2021

What Happened (Part 38)

Another Sunday amusement was the family drive.  We’d all get in the station wagon (it was the old white one, then later the aquamarine Pontiac) and Pop would head out into the country, to the sand hills.  We’d look at old farms, and fields of cows (we had a simple game; whoever saw them first would yell out “My Cows!” and whoever claimed the most won), and sometimes we would even stop and pick wildflowers.  A fun part was when Pop came to a dip in the road, he’d speed up, and we’d all laugh as we felt our stomachs drop.  Somewhere along the way we’d stop at some joint or little store to get a snack and a soda.  I remember one time I got a Big Red that smelled like a cigar, but I had to drink it anyway, so as not to waste it.  Lucky I was really thirsty.

No comments:

Post a Comment