Sunday, February 26, 2023

Infernal Devices: Into the Archive



Infernal Devices, by K. W. Jeter (1987)

I have long followed the careers of two of the ‘godfathers of Steampunk’, James P. Blaylock and Tim Powers. Having caught up on my backlog of their works, I thought it was finally time to give the third, K. W. Jeter a shot, and I thought I’d start with Infernal Devices, the first in the George Dower Trilogy. It is set, as most good Steampunk is, in Victorian times. It arrived on Thursday, and I am halfway through it now, finally having time on Sunday to apply myself to it. I am enjoying it greatly so far; it harks back (for me) to the styles and milieu of Eighties Fantasy.

Kevin Wayne Jeter (born 1950) is an American science fiction and horror author known for his literary writing style, dark themes, and paranoid, unsympathetic characters. He is also credited with the coining of the term "Steampunk." K. W. has written novels set in the Star Trek and Star Wars universe, and has written three (to date) sequels to Blade Runner.’- goodreads.

‘Infernal Devices is a steampunk novel by K. W. Jeter, published in 1987. The novel was republished in 2011 by Angry Robot Books with a new introduction by the author, cover art by John Coulthart, and an afterword by Jeff VanderMeer.’ – Wikipedia.

                                                              Original Cover

No comments:

Post a Comment