Tuesday, February 21, 2023

The Fall of Socks

 [I had barely started on the next chapter of LOTR when I had to do an exhausting chore between 9 and 10 AM. I don't think I have the time or energy to finish today; instead, here is an old 'biographical' poem.]

Socks 


The first day of fall

He fell

I was free again

I mouthed

A bitter foretaste

Of mortal

Parting on my tongue

 

I had tried to make him

Comfortable

Stroked his thinning fur

Felt bones under skin

Washed his rheumy eyes

Yellow pus and once

A bloody tear

 

Slowly the machine

Wound down

Over the days

I had worried

Told his real owners

Heard, well, he was old

Nothing to be done

He might last a while yet

But I knew

 

I think of him

At their house

In the pride of life

Curiously questing

The lesson of the hot stove

As I cooked

And the annoyance I felt

When he was moved

In house with me

Just as I was free

Of Shadow (another inmate)

 

He tipped over

A treasured toy

Twice

Loosened its limbs

Knocked off head and tail

It will never be the same

But here it is

And he is gone

 

For years I cleaned his box

Fed him twice a day

Cursed when I stepped

In misplaced shit

Or unexpected vomit

Muttered as I moved

That box out of bathroom

Before I could shower

 

But there were days

(He was never my cat)

When he’d curl in my lap

Look at me with innocent eyes

Go to sleep

With animal acceptance

Of trust and warmth

And one couldn’t help

But scratch his ears  

 

 

--Sept. 24, 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment