Thursday, March 30, 2023

Personal Day Maunderings (or Rants, If You Will)

 


I decided that today I would take a personal day. I don’t know; I just don’t feel up to doing even the minimal tasks I’ve set myself. Maybe it’s the ravages of spring. Maybe it’s the world being turned into a festering pile of shite by the idjits that seem to be in charge everywhere. Maybe it’s age creeping up on me. Usually, I can scrabble around and find some sort of slippery fingerhold or inch of reality to stand on, or the consolations of art to numb and distract me. I know that the world is (or can be) a wonderful place, but I’m constantly reminded that while it may be a passable inn it is not our home; not somewhere we can relax. What’s heartbreaking is that there’s a vision of the world as a paradise that seems achingly possible. (‘The world would be so beautiful if it weren’t for certain people.’ ‘The world’s not crazy; just the people in it.’) Then the heart does break, and we know we have to look for happiness Elsewhere.

Anyway, I’ve just finished Robert Louis Stevenson’s The Master of Ballantrae and begun The Wreckers (written with his stepson). Stevenson’s work is very compelling but also a bit grim. Perhaps his influence on my mood, coupled with the very funny but nihilistic ramblings of a stand-up whom I’m watching compulsively on YouTube (a bitter, bitter fool) is not a very healthy diet. Or perhaps I’m seeking out entertainment that simply matches my mood. In both sources there is enough seasoning to make the meal compulsively palatable.

When this mood is upon me (and I know it is a mood; when it passes, I go skipping through the day) I do what I can to distract myself, and one of the things I love to do is scour Amazon, looking for volumes obscure or books whose existence flit in and out of my consciousness, and adding the to the Wish List. As long as I have an ounce of interest, ‘I can stand living in this cold, cruel, damnable world’. No; that sounds more theatrical than the actual feeling. But a bright possibility dangled like a carrot before me does keep me moving along through these little valleys of shadow. Those who know me might ask, well, what about my religious convictions? Well, they are the things that keep me flying the flag of this world. If I believed there were only secular or scientific dimensions to reality, I would have completely despaired long ago.

Be that as it may, here are some books and movies that are now on my Wish List. There are some (like the Tolkien) that I will almost definitely get; others will probably season for a while until I make up my mind.














Not sure if I can get all those DVDs in this region code. That's 22 Thornton Burgess books, published by Dover; I'd want them mainly for the Cady illustrations. What should be the final Discworld Companion, now that Pratchett's passed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment