Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Second Edition, Much Like the First'un: Into the Archive

 

The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien, Edited by Humphrey Carpenter (Assisted by Christopher Tolkien)
While I have had a hardback first edition for many years, its crumbling paper cover makes it hard to handle. This edition (which boasts a New, Expanded Index) will certainly be a much easier to consult.
The Ultimate Discworld Companion, by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Briggs (Illustrations by Paul Kidby)
I've got two earlier editions of this book, but this should indeed be the last, as Terry Pratchett has now passed away and most wisely had the foresight to forbid any new developments of his property, even going so far as to have all the notes and unfinished stories in his files destroyed (by steamroller, no less). Everything about the Discworld canon that will ever be is now published. The book I now have lacks this jacket, and it seems there is besides a more deluxe edition with color illustrations. But I am content.  
Letters to a Diminished Church, by Dorothy L. Sayers
She insisted on that L. when she was alive, and I see no reason to deny her it now. Consists of 16 essays, many of which I find I have read in other anthologies, but others that I do not have. Includes 'Discussion Questions', which indicates that this edition was prepared for study groups or book clubs, and an Index explaining many historical references, and some notes by Sayers herself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment