Friday, May 19, 2023

The Mystery Comics Digest of the Ages is Fulfilled

Mystery Comics Digest: Ripley's Believe It or Not #4 (June 1972)

Today I received this volume in the mail, Mystery Comics Digest: Ripley’s Believe It or Not #4, June 1972. Well do I vaguely remember the first time ever I saw it, and the circumstances under which it was purchased. It was grocery day, a Saturday, and Mike and I (at least – was John there? Did he get his own digest?) were with Pop shopping at Baenziger’s. We were at the magazine rack next to the little checkout where they bought cigarettes, and for some reason Pop agreed to buy us each a Mystery Comics Digest. Once again, I put my money on the wrong horse, and chose the Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery #2 (well, it had exciting looking reptilian monsters on it), while Mike chose the Ripley title.  After we had all read the mags and saw what was inside, I had a bout of buyer’s remorse. Although Karloff had its good points, Ripley’s had that Real Life High Weirdness that I’ve always found attractive, and (in my opinion) better art to boot.

Besides the ‘real’ life stories, my brothers might remember The Hug of Death (gypsies and wrasslin’ bears), A Tree Grows in Transylvania (Baron Tibor), and Where There’s Smoke There’s Fear (the usual irony with magic lamp wishes).

Anyway, with this volume I think I’ve finally got copies of all the Mystery Comics Digest we had as kids, and a few more that we didn’t. I find out now that although we always thought of Karloff and Ripley’s and Twilight Zone (of which, although I have a faint impression that we might have had a copy, I can’t remember anything concrete about it at the moment) as separate entities, they were all published under the rubric of Mystery Comics Digest, and were released, a different title a month, in rotation. The series came out from March 1972 to October 1975, and had 26 issues. This, according to Wikipedia, is how they played out:

  • Believe It or Not!- #1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, 25
  • Boris Karloff- #2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20, 23, 26
  • Twilight Zone- #3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24

They were all reprints from their original Gold Key titles, included some original stories, and sometimes had panel stories that were told in prose in other issues and vice versa. Altogether, I now have 8 of the 26. And there the score will probably stand, barring any fortuitous finds.

#1, March 1972
#2, April 1972
#5, July 1972
#7, September 1972
#11, May 1973
#13, May 1973
#20, November 1974

No comments:

Post a Comment