Tuesday, February 9, 2021

My Brother Mike

 

Today would have been my brother Mike's 59th birthday. This is a little collage I made with my computer in the early 2000's; the paper I printed it on got water damaged at one point. There is so much I want to say about him. There is so much I would like to say to him. When he passed away, he had just completed a large novel and was on the point of trying to get it published. Finances and other circumstances made that difficult; it was before the boom in electronic publishing became big and made sending your work over the internet easy. There is so much that could be told about him. This is part of the bare-bones obituary I wrote at the time:

Michael Wayne Babel was born Feb. 9, 1962, the first son of E.E. ("Buddy") and Patricia Babel. He graduated from Seguin High School in 1980, and attended Southwest Texas State University from 1980 to 1984.

A dedicated reader, writer, and editor of great skill, he was twice winner of the Gates Thomas Award for prose writing. In his time he worked at KWED in Seguin, KGNB in New Braunfels, and at the Seguin Gazette-Enterprise, but perhaps enjoyed his work as a substitute teacher in the Seguin area best. His most recent job was at River Gardens in New Braunfels. He passed away at home on Oct. 21, 2006. 

He was a beloved uncle, brother and friend; a great wit, a scholar, and a deeply loving heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment