Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Birthday Books: The Hobbit Sketchbook

 My 58th birthday is fast approaching, and I am expecting some new books to celebrate the fact. The first of the batch arrived today, "The Hobbit Sketchbook" by Alan Lee.

I have been aware of Alan Lee as an artist since at least his superior illustrations in "The Golden Book of the Mysterious", which I read in high school. But his work on "Faeries" (with Brian Froud) definitely cemented his name in my brain. It came as no surprise to me that he has become known as 'the' artist of Middle-Earth, especially after his pre-production work on the Peter Jackson films. This volume includes some work from his illustrated edition of "The Hobbit" along with concept art he did for "The Hobbit" films. It has been sold as a companion volume to his "The Lord of the Rings Sketchbook" (which I also have).  There are 192 pages with both pencil and watercolor illustrations, and has Lee's own notes on his processes and memories of the films' production.


No comments:

Post a Comment