Thursday, July 1, 2021

New Old Books

Yesterday I walked over to the library (it's only a few blocks down the road, but in this heat and with my bad knee it seems farther) and took a look through their used bookstore there. I came home with six books for $11 (one of which was for a present and which I won't list here).

An excellent new reading copy. My three old individual books are about forty years old and getting fragile; this one volume is handy and has a great binding.
When I first saw this book I wondered if I already had it, it seemed so familiar. But checking my lists I didn't see it anywhere; it wasn't even in my Shadow Library posts. Perhaps I had a copy once and just forgot it. Anyhow, it is safe in the fold.
Not just a collection of cartoons, but a humorous meditation on business practices as if told by the manipulative Dogbert.
Another Penguin book and a medieval classic. Originally conceived as a handbook for the clergy to learn to become more like Christ, it became a religious exemplar for many different kinds of Christians in many stations of life.
Short stories, cartoons, and parodies by James Thurber, the author known today for a few fantasy classics like "The Thirteen Clocks" and popularizing the name of "Walter Mitty" for a man who daydreams about a more romantic life. This book seemed like an orphan out of time, and I was more than happy to give it a new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment