Thursday, November 4, 2021

Beauty and the Beast (1949): Into the Archive

Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast has been on my radar since at least my years in middle school when our Drama teacher Mr. Daryl Fleming spoke to us about it in glowing terms; that was only re-inforced in high school by his brother, our Creative Writing teacher, Mr. David Fleming. Finding the film and watching it was another thing altogether, as these were the days when even VCRs were scarce on the ground. But finally it came on PBS one night and we were able to see for ourselves this high water mark in Fantasy, Romance, and Cinema. My appreciation has only grown through the years. 

There is little I can say or add about this classic. I am certainly glad to have my own copy now, as it emerges on TV only at certain magic intervals that I have a hard time divining.

No comments:

Post a Comment