Saturday, November 6, 2021

The Complete Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm: All New Third Edition Translated by Jack Zipes

I used to have the original edition of this book (it has a different cover) which I gave to my nephew Kameron when he formed an attachment to it. That has allowed me to eventually upgrade to this volume. It is a snappy translation by scholar Jack Zipes (whose work is represented elsewhere in my library) that is further graced by classic illustrations by artist John B. Gruelle. 

But of course the feature that appeals to me most is the 'Complete' part of the title. Most editions of Grimms have only the most popular or familiar tales; this one includes the grimmest, or the most Germanic, or the most religious tales (including stories featuring saints or even Christ himself) that usually get edited out of more modern collections. I like having the entire work to refer to, not some sort of truncated or bowdlerized version, no matter how entertaining (which works well enough for children). But I am old enough and curious enough to want more. This is not so much a virtue as a mental condition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment