Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Cyrano de Bergerac: Into the Archive

Cyrano de Bergerac (1950), starring Jose Ferrer and Mala powers. The transfer, by Alpha Video, is poor, rather blurry, the picture occasionally shaky and the soundtrack skips now and then. But what can I expect for a copy that costs only $5? Fortunately for me, once the story gets going that all vanishes and I am once more caught up in the story of a man who is all honor, love, and intellect, but who feels keenly his rejection by society because of his outward appearance. I see now that there are better remastered editions, but this one will do for now.

I remember the first time I saw the film, back when I was in high school. Our creative writing teacher knew that it was coming on that weekend, and suggested that Mike and I take the opportunity to see it. We did not knowing exactly what to expect, but determined to give it a try.

Saturday afternoon came and we settled down to watch. Unfortunately Pop (whose idea of a proper movie was a good Western) had settled down in his recliner and was determined to be a film critic for his idealistic sons, perhaps all the more so because we had hinted he might want to do something else as it was probably not his cup of tea.

When in the first scene of the movie the slimy, posing actor Montfleury came on stage and began to declaim, Pop's scorn was loud and palpable. I think he thought it was all going to be like that. Mike and I tried to get him to settle down so we could hear the movie and give it a fair chance. He was having none of it.

Then Jose Ferrer came on as Cyrano and voiced Pop's exact opinions about Montfleury.  That took him by surprise, I think. And then? "Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles!" By the time the film was over, even Pop had to admit it was not the exercise in sissiness he thought it was going to be; in fact I think he even begrudgingly liked it.

Anyway, that is the primary memory I have of it, beyond the film itself. G. K. Chesterton was very fond of Rostand's play (the source material) and it tickles me a bit that the rotund, genial, amateur poet Ragueneau (played by Lloyd Corrigan) greatly resembles Chesterton. And that is all I have to say about that right now.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment