Sunday, December 4, 2022

The Shadow Library

 

Three Stories from The House at Pooh Corner, by A. A. Milne. Illustrations by Ernest H. Shepard.
We had this Scholastic book for many years. It is, of course, a selection from the longer book. Not quite sure what happened to it. I only know that I don't have it.
Myths of Greece and Rome, by H. A. Guerber
Bought this battered old copy at Yesterday's Warehouse, I think, mostly for its illustrations. I never read it because I was familiar with its contents. A few years ago (in quest of space and simplification) I removed the pictures and threw the rest away. It was only halfway through the process that I realized it was by Helen Guerber, the same author who had done Myths of the Norsemen, and would have made a rather fine companion piece. It was not particularly rare or expensive, but now I regret destroying it. I felt bad while I was doing it; I should have taken that as a clue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment