Wednesday, January 4, 2023

A New Door or A Secret Gate

 

Second Edition, Eighth Printing (Not My Copies)

A very peculiar thing happened to me yesterday. When I went looking for a particular quote to preface my post on Tolkien’s birthday, I pulled out my old ex-library copy of The Return of the King as the easiest to go searching in, as it would lay open at the page while I transcribed it. And then something happened that I had not intended.

I became re-enchanted.

Let me explain. The set that this volume belonged to is the very first place that I ever read The Lord of the Rings, way back in middle school, the 1976-1977 school year. As such, it carries not only my first impressions of the tale, but also of all the sensory experiences I had while reading it, from its size in my hand to its unfamiliar British quotation marks to its characteristic letter font. The runes, the metallic embossment on the covers (coppery-orange, red and purple) shining in the black covers as if out of the deeps of time, the maps, perhaps even the (then to me) unfamiliar format of one enormous story told in a trilogy, made reading it an intense and immersive experience.

The years passed, and I must have read The Lord of the Rings dozens of times, first in these books and then in many other editions. I became so familiar with it that I did not even have to read it again; all I had to do was summon up a scene, and it would play out in my mind. Indeed, it became almost impossible to reread it as a whole without losing patience and trailing off at some point. I would still review certain sections at times, but it had become like one’s nose: you can always see it, but your mind usually edits it out unless for some reason you become aware of it.

Well, I found my quotation, and then started flipping around a bit, assessing the condition of the book, and sniffing its old, somehow watery smell. I started reading, almost at random, the section concerning the Siege of Minas Tirith and the arrival of the Rohirrim, certainly one of the most enthralling episodes of the book. And here I made a rather unsettling discovery.

I found that I had been expecting the arrival of Aragorn with the Dead Men of Dunharrow, only to realize or remember with a bit of a shock that that happened only in the Jackson movies, that Aragorn’s army in the black ships consisted of living men that he had gathered coming upriver after defeating the Corsairs with the undead host! Perhaps my memories could use a bit of touching up after all; perhaps I was finally ready for a complete rereading at last. One other line cemented my resolve. It says that it was ‘given’ to Gandalf to see what was happening on the battlefield while he went to rescue Faramir and take him to the Houses of Healing, a detail, and a power that I never paid attention to before. Who gave it, and under what circumstances? There were clearly corners where I could still find little mysteries and surprises. And the format was giving me very strong nostalgic vibes, and ... I was re-enchanted again.

So, I have determined to begin my new reading tomorrow and chronicle it here. My plan is to read a chapter a day, remark on passages that particularly strike me, and even add background points of interest mentioned in places like The Lord of the Rings: A Reader’s Companion (Hammond and Scull) or the four volumes in The History of Middle-earth that deal with the composition of the tale. I doubt if my reviews will be exhaustive (though possibly exhausting after a while) and will be interrupted by other subjects in the blog, but by the end I should have a renewed understanding of Tolkien and The Lord of the Rings. Anyway, that’s my proposed story arc going into 2023. Let’s see how far it will take me.




No comments:

Post a Comment