Wednesday, January 25, 2023

What Dreams May Come

 

I might not post the next session of ‘The Council of Elrond’ today, or if I do, it may be later than usual; I am not feeling well. In the meantime, here is a dream I had yesterday.

I have fallen into the habit in the past few years of recording some of my more memorable dreams. My brother Kenny says some of them are like “picking up signals from really great intergalactic tv”. Some of my dreams are ‘interpreted’ by the emotions I feel while having them; some I embellish and make inferences while not quite awake. But they are recorded as honestly as I can.

I have quite a collection of my dreams now. In fact my book, A Grave on Deacon’s Peak, was based on one. I only wish I were as good at plotting while I was awake. The embellishments and implications are put in brackets.


 The Fate of [Worldreaver] (2  PM, Jan. 24, 2023)

Our protagonist, a clean-cut galactic hero type, walks into the   captured house where Worldreaver, a super-powered alien, is holding his villainous court. This is his wont; he selects a place on the planet he is plundering where he observes its rape and destruction, making jokes and comments to his hangers-on. The Hero marches up to Worldreaver and demands he stop, and is summarily killed, disintegrated. The court laughs, even one rough old wreck who lets out a grim bark.

The hero wakes up with a start to find himself in an unfamiliar, somehow improvised lab. There is a team of guerillas there, who have transported him into the past, a day or even just a few hours ago. They are not from this planet, but a coalition from many desolated worlds. Their purpose: now because there are two of him in time, his presence is shielded from Worldreaver. They send him and members of their group on a mission to find or improvise a weapon and use it to destroy Worldreaver.

[Through all their adventures the hero is put through the wringer, both with personal damage and the loss of his comrades, who he comes to love and admire. At last, he is the only one left, but he has the quantum bomb (a quite small device). He limps into Worldreaver’s court before the alien arrives; he sets off no alarms or warnings. He sees Worldreaver come in and take up his place and chaffer with his court; he sees himself come in and challenge him. He watches himself die, an event he can’t prevent because it will cancel out the plan. He barks a single laugh.] He is the rough ‘old’ wreck.

With the disappearance of that other self, Worldreaver suddenly becomes aware of the hero and his purpose. The alien has one moment of shocked realization while the hero takes the bomb out of his cloak. Then the hero deliberately pushes the button, and all goes white …


No comments:

Post a Comment