Saturday, March 30, 2024

Into the Archive: At Large


Ustinov at Large, by Peter Ustinov (192 pages, Michael O’Mara Books Ltd, 1991). The volume to which Ustinov Still at Large is a sequel.

“Peter Ustinov’s weekly column in The European has become a popular supplement to Europe’s literary diet. These short essays, combining as they do Ustinov’s usual blend of wit and wisdom, cover a vast range of subjects.” – from the book flap.

I was pleasantly surprised to find this book in the mail today. I had settled myself to probably only getting it on Monday, and maybe later. It strangely has no presence on Amazon; I had to find a (very inexpensive) copy on eBay from a company called Better World Books. To my delight they had included a bookmark (self-advertising of course), always a useful thing to have around. I am still reading Gilliamesque (which I will probably finish today), and then I will go right into Ustinov at Large. There is no indication that reading order matters to Ustinov’s books of essays, but I am somehow more comfortable with it this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment