Tuesday, October 11, 2022

The Shadow Library: Things I Had Forgotten

The Day the Universe Changed (1985), by James Burke

In the Eighties, James Burke presented several series of shows about the history of culture, science, and technology, such as Connections and The Day the Universe Changed. This book was of course a tie-in to the former. I enjoyed his presentations fairly well and bought the volume as a way of solidifying the experience, and perhaps as a way of signifying my smarty-pants bona fides.
The Dragon Path: Collected Stories of Kenneth Morris (1995). Edited by Douglas A. Anderson.

Not exactly sure when I bought this or when I let it go. I had of course been interested in Kenneth Morris as a fantasy forebear for many years, hearing about him everywhere from Lin Carter to Ursula K. Le Guin. When I finally got this collection of his short stories, however, I found it to be elusive, almost impenetrable. Perhaps his much-celebrated novel, Book of the Three Dragons, would have been more accessible. Anderson, of course, is the editor of The Annotated Hobbit and other works on Tolkien and fantasy literature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment