Saturday, February 24, 2024

From a Letter to My Brother Mike, July 27 1987 (Off on a Journey)

 


Dear Mike, 

It has now been ten hours since you have gone and already I miss you.  All of my life you have been there, almost never more than half an hour away, and now every minute carries you farther and farther away.  I look at my books placed in your shelves & am reminded of you, I type this letter on your typewriter and am reminded of you; every now and then something will occupy my attention, but then I think of you with a start and feel guilty for having forgotten for a moment.  

I have noticed something strange. Things do not have a past until they are gone.  I mean they have a past, but they are not in it.  It is awful feeling so torn, but I don't feel any despair.  I know from the past that things I think are gone forever turn up where least expected.  I hope you will turn up soon.

 

[Found in his papers ten years and more after his passing.]


No comments:

Post a Comment