Monday, February 19, 2024

Vanished Things

 

Not Maurice and Everard, But Close Enough

I am still in the early chapters of Maurice Baring Restored but “Already I have learned from this book one thing which is wholly true,” as Kerin of Nointel would say in The Silver Stallion. This is contained in the following anecdote of his childhood:

“There was another book which I read to myself and liked, if anything, still better. I found it in Everard’s [his brother's] bedroom. It was a yellow-backed novel, and it had on the cover the picture of a dwarf letting off a pistol. It was called the Siege of Castle Something and it was by—that is the question, who was it by? … The book was in Everard’s cupboard for years, and then, “suddenly, as rare things will, it vanished.” I never have been able to find it again, although I have never stopped looking for it. Once I thought I had run it to earth. I once met at the Vice-Provost’s house at Eton a man who was an expert lion-hunter and who seemed to have read every English novel that had ever been published. I described him the book. He had read it. He remembered the picture on the cover and the story, but, alas! he could recall neither its name nor that of the author.” – The Puppet Show of Memory, Maurice Baring (1874-1945).

The words that most impressed me were the words in quotations, which indicate that they were someone else’s. But whose? I found out they were Robert Browning’s, from his poem One Word More. Of course Baring knew Browning’s poetry, and expected everyone else to know it, too. I also found out that 'Maurice' in English is pronounced 'Morris'.


No comments:

Post a Comment