Thursday, February 8, 2024

Ghosts in the (Vending) Machine

 

It came to me last week and recurred to me this morning how important the Tom’s Snacks vending machines were to me in middle school. After eating a balanced lunch in the school cafeteria (where they had ‘unlimited’ salad – just ground up lettuce, but drenched with Green Goddess or French I would go back to it again and again) it came time to spend some precious silver change on ‘filling up corners,’ as the Hobbits would say. And I would be wracked with the dilemma of choice.

There were big brand names, of course, like Lay’s Potato Chips or Frito’s, but they were usually a nickel more expensive and full of air. The most bang for my buck were the cheaper selections by Tom’s itself, and it took the nicety of Solomon to decide which to pick each day (always assuming you had the money).

A good old standby was Hot Peanuts. Dense and spicy, the very nature of the snack made you slow down and savor it. Very seldom did I choose just regular old peanuts, unless an oddly simplistic nostalgic mood struck me. Coveted was the flavorful dust accumulated at the bottom of a bag of Hot Peanuts; often the package had to rent open in quest of the precious spice.

As opposed to the density of Hot Peanuts, the fluffiness of Cheese Popcorn might appeal. It came in a much larger bag, hanging on the bottom rack of the machine. As big as the bag was, I don’t think it was any more in weight than other snacks. Eaten quicker than Hot Peanuts, it still took a while to get to the bottom of the bag. Cheesy fingers, and gagging on hulls now and then, were the drawbacks. Cheese Puffs were a similar snack, but with less substance. A bag of Bugles was a satisfactory workhorse, if mostly a delivery system for the taste of salt. 

I think it was in middle school that I was first introduced to Corn Nuts.  They came in several varieties, Plain and Hot and, maybe, Ranch? Or was that later? Anyway, the proper way to eat them was to ‘kronk’ them, as in, ‘I just kronked on a bag of Corn Nuts.’ Delicious, but a bit hard on the teeth, and I remember the terrible grinding when you hit one of those black deep-fried kernels. It makes my toothless gums ache to remember. Mom later formed an attachment to them (they were supposed to be healthier than other snacks) and had to have a weekly tube to eke out through the long days.

A rare treat that might be purchased if you had enough money for two snacks was Bacon Strips. This light wispy goodie was shaped and colored like a little strip of bacon and had a maddeningly elusive flavor (not really much like bacon) that you chased right to the bottom of the bag, which came much too soon. Flat but puffy, it was a celebration of style over substance, and its like does not appear in the world today.

Of course, salty was not always the option; there was sweet too, in the form of various candy bars. I didn’t regularly buy many, but when I did it would be a Baby Ruth, with a Butterfinger as second choice chockie. M&M’s, Plain or Peanut, were a distant third. I might also mention the soda machines and a cold frosty Big Red, with the sweat bees buzzing menacingly around the soda cans abandoned in the big garbage bins. But I won’t.

Now, of course, I could go out and buy as many hot peanuts or cheese popcorn or corn nuts as I wanted in giant bags or tubes, except I can’t and shouldn’t. The state of my blood sugar (and my teeth) won’t allow it. But perhaps it is just as well. These delights were best savored as rare treats with the intensity of youth, and now to be enjoyed more on the palate of memory than to be chased vainly on a river of snacks that will never bring back the sensations I had when young.

Bon Appétit.  





No comments:

Post a Comment