Thursday, April 11, 2024

Another DVD in The Shadow Library

 


“The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep (stylized on-screen as simply The Water Horse) is a 2007 fantasy drama film directed by Jay Russell and written by Robert Nelson Jacobs, based on Dick King-Smith's [author of Babe: The Gallant Pig and Godhanger] children's novel The Water Horse. It stars Alex Etel as a young boy who discovers a mysterious egg and cares for what hatches out of it: a "water horse" (loosely based on the Celtic water horse) which later becomes the fabled Loch Ness Monster. The film also stars Emily WatsonBen Chaplin and David Morrissey.

“The film was produced by Revolution Studios and Walden Media, in collaboration with Beacon Pictures, and was distributed by Columbia PicturesVisual effects were completed by the New Zealand-based companies Weta Digital and Weta Workshop.” – Wikipedia.

I remember after I bought and watched it I thought it was a rather by-the-book sort of British children's fantasy movie of no special interest to me, and giving it to the Shanafelts, I think. I was reminded of it during my researches by the fact that it starred Alex Etel, the boy from From Time to Time. Perhaps if I had noted its connections to Dick King-Smith, Walden Media (the Narnia films), and Weta Workshop I might not have been so quick to expel it from my collection, but then I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it anymore.


No comments:

Post a Comment