Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Easter and My Baptism, April 2019


4/20/2019: Woke up about 5:30 AM and knew I was awake. Read Bible and prayed Rosary, straightened around a bit, then was able to get some sleep for about an hour. Got up about 8 AM and got dressed, caught up Diary. About 9:30 AM went in and checked the ham, what it weighed and so on, to know when to start it. About 11 AM they [the Shanafelts] went out for breakfast. I made the deviled eggs, then split and buttered the rolls. Throughout the day I made tea, mashed potatoes, put the ham in at about 1:30 PM, and made the green bean casserole and the gravy, and took out the cranberry sauce. Kaitlyn got here at about 3:30 PM with her dogs. Totally by chance Kenny called me, and I was able to tell me I was getting baptized today, and he and Kay both heartily congratulated me. Fred called Andy for rotation just before we were ready to eat, but he got back about 4:30 PM and we ate. Everyone agreed it was a superior production. I went rather light to not be too full. At 5:30 PM I went in to rest a bit, then showered and got ready. Mike [Stewart]called at about 6 PM to check in, then I went and sat on the porch a little before 7 to wait; many cardinals swooping and singing in the trees before me. Mike came, he gave me a card and a rosary, and we went to St. James. First we went and sat in the church, with a few people getting things ready, then we went outside where the fire to light the new Paschal candle was kindled. S&A, Kelsey, her Ryan, Kaitlyn, and Kameron arrived, and we directed them in. It was a beautiful calm clear evening. We processed in and took our seats, the church dim and solemn, and we passed the light to others’ candles. The church was lit up; we rang bells, and there was music. The time came when we went up and give our testimony (for the liturgy) and I started out by saying that if anyone doubted miracles still occur, I was in front of them actually talking to a crowd. Afterwards several people told me they were touched by my words. I went up and was baptized (in my stocking feet); some of the water was from the Jordan. I took my baptismal candle up to the altar. There was confirmation of vows for Shauna and Amy and their husbands. There was the big moment when I finally shared in the Eucharist, and my long journey was finally fulfilled, praise God! We were dismissed. I felt at first that I wanted to go home, but then Mike and I ducked into the fellowship hall, where there many presents given me, and congratulations, and we had cake! Mike finally got me home about 11:30 PM, and S&A were in the kitchen having Second Supper. They congratulated me too, and I saw Kam, and then I headed inside. I did some Bible reading to help me wind down, posted GKC’s “The Convert” on Facebook, where I saw Isabel congratulating me too. Hit the hay and was finally able to wind down.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment