Tuesday, July 14, 2020

And Some That Came Later

The Sorcerer’s Scrapbook, by Michael Berenstain. Michael is the son of the creators of the Berenstain Bears, and an artist in his own right. I remember Fleming giving me a cutting of an illustration from this book reproduced in a review from The New York Review of Books in 1981. I found this copy years later, at old Half’s store I think, and when I saw the rest I was enchanted. A sorcerer’s life story, with dragons, unicorns, spirits, and woses, this was just my cup of tea, and many of the illustrations are quite beautiful. Ranking: Keeper. File Code: Children’s Book. Hardback.
The Troll Book, by Michael Berenstain. A beautiful children’s book, delicately tinted, and full of lore. I believe this came out in the wake of the popularity of “Gnomes”. A take on the gnarled lifestyle of trolls, with suggestions that they may not be as nasty as they seem. A used library book; not sure where I bought it, but possibly from a library or garage sale. Ranking: Keeper. File Code: Children’s Book. Hardback.
Saint George and the Dragon, Retold (from Spenser’s The Faerie Queene) by Margaret Hodges and Illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman. I saw a review of this in Mr. Fleming’s class in one of his New York Review of books and was intrigued. Years later I bought this copy at a garage sale. It’s pretty good, I suppose, but I’ve never been able to actually read it, and its illustrations are in a water-color style that doesn’t appeal to me greatly. It’s the subject matter that drew me. Ranking: Dispensable. File Code: Children’s Book. Softcover.

No comments:

Post a Comment