Friday, July 17, 2020

Childcraft Volume Two: Storytelling and Other Poems (1954)

Part of a set that engaged my interest in Fourth Grade. Full of beautiful old illustrations, some of which are by the Disney Studios. One poem that really caught my attention with its vision of personal domestic felicity was “The Shiny Little House”; that emotion was deepened later with passages in “The Wind in the Willows” and descriptions of Bag End. Other poems like “Eletelephony” and “A Ballad of China” hooked me with their rhymes and music; some, like “A Vagabond Song” and “When the Frost is on the Punkin” touched off the longing for a season; some just stick with me for the wonder of it, like “Yet Gentle Will the Griffin Be” and “Daniel Boone” and “The Highwayman”! In many ways, the Fourth Grade was my Wonder Year, and this book was a large factor. Ranking: Essential. File Code: Childcraft. Poetry and Verse. Hardback.

No comments:

Post a Comment