Wednesday, July 22, 2020

History and Mystery

The Fireside Book of Children’s Songs. Collected and Edited by Marie Winn (1966). I saw this first sometime back in McQueeney. I have to confess I extorted this from Kameron, more or less with his reluctant permission; I stand ready to return it whenever he wants it. It was grabbed for the nostalgia and as a reference for old songs. The illustrations remind me of a certain period that was passing as I grew up. Ranking: A Strange Obsession. File Code: Music. Song. Hardback. Reference.
’76: The World Turned Upside Down, by Sid Moody. A record of many of the aspects of the places and people at the time of the American Revolution, profusely illustrated with pictures from the period. I learn better with visuals and I think that’s one of the reasons it appeals to me. Published in 1975 in anticipation of the Bicentennial. Of some use to me when thinking about my own book. Ranking: Keeper. File Code: History. America. Hardback.
The Life Book of Christmas: Volumes I, II, and III. Volume I: The Glory of Christmas. The history, art, and traditions of the Nativity. Volume II: The Pageantry of Christmas. The carols, plays, and traditions through the years. Volume III: The Merriment of Christmas. Christmas games, decorations, and food. Ranking: Nice, but Expendable. File Code: Nostalgic. Christmas. Reference. Hardback.
Religious Drama 1. Five ‘modern’ (as of 1957) plays with religious themes, I bought this book for the Dorothy L. Sayers’ play, “The Zeal of Thy House”. I am amazed at this sturdy paperback, more than 60 years old, a library copy, for goodness sake, and still in such comparatively good shape! Sayers play is a meditation on the importance of the artist serving the work, not only for the success of the work, but for the artist’s spirit’s sake. The other four plays, I’m sure, are worth looking at, but I haven’t. Ranking: Essential. My only copy of Sayers’ play. File Code: Drama. Religious. Paperback.

No comments:

Post a Comment