Tuesday, September 15, 2020

L. M. Boston

 



The Children of Green Knowe (Hardback), Treasure of Green Knowe (Hardback), The River at Green Knowe (Hardback), An Enemy at Green Knowe (Hardback), A Stranger at Green Knowe (Softcover), and The Stones of Green Knowe (Softcover), by L. M. Boston, and Illustrated by Peter Boston.

I read some of these in middle school. The gem for me was “Enemy”, with its grim sorceries and fight to save Green Knowe, an ancient and powerful house, from a wicked enemy and her magic. It had echoes of “The Dark is Rising” for me (which I had read first). I got the first four ex-library books at the fabled San Antonio library sale, then “Stranger” when they were reprinted during the Harry Potter craze, then “Stones” in … 2010, I’m surprised to find. Some of the books have been adapted in a TV series (from “Children”) and a movie (called “From Time to Time”, 2009, from “Treasure” – with Maggie Smith as Mrs. Oldknow). Wonderful books; I can almost place exactly where they were on the Briesemeister shelves. Peter Boston was the author’s (Lucy M. Boston) son.

Ranking: Essential.

File Code: Children’s Series. Fantasy. Hard and Soft Covers.

















No comments:

Post a Comment