Wednesday, September 2, 2020

On a Lighter Note


Pogo’s Bats and the Belles Free, by Walt Kelly.
During our summertime trips to the public library we discovered actual hardback collections of Pogo when we moved to the grown-up side of the building (before that we knew the Chuck Jones special and had Pogo figures, and had seen it in Omi’s papers, but not our own: a good design but almost incomprehensibobble text. This was the only copy we could find outside of those for years, and I think John got it at Yesterday’s Warehouse. A little worn and … burned?
Ranking: Keeper.
File Code: Cartoons. Softcover.
Asterix the Gaul, Text by Goscinny, Drawings by Uderzo.

Translated from the French. Publication date says 1970. I remember seeing sets of these, at least since middle school. The artwork is especially good. This is apparently the first volume in the series. If I remember correctly, John bought it at Yesterday’s Warehouse and later gave it to me. I loves me an historical comic strip.
Ranking: Keeper.
File Code: Cartoons. Hardback.

The Wizard of Id: 1971 Daily and Sunday Strips, and The Wizard of Id: 1972 Daily and Sunday Strips, by Brant Parker and Johnny Hart.
And speaking of historical comic strips, we used to collect “The Wizard of Id” paperbacks as well as “Peanuts” when we got a little older. I had just started getting these collections when my troubles hit and no longer had the money to follow the series. Still have those paperbacks, though. Good fantasy humor, too.
Ranking: Keepers.
File Code: Cartoons. Collection. Hardback.

No comments:

Post a Comment