Wednesday, September 9, 2020

So Many Notes, Your Majesty


The Annotated Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
(“The Four Novels and Fifty-Six Short Stories Complete. Lavishly illustrated with maps, diagrams, photographs, and drawings. Edited, with an Introduction, Notes, and Bibliography by William S. Baring-Gould.”) Includes the famous Sidney Paget illustrations. This volume made all my other Sherlock Holmes books superfluous, including a boxed set of paperbacks (from John’s collection) and a hardback with all the Strand illustrations. It seems superfluous to explain the Sherlock Holmes mythos; I can only say it deeply influenced me from my childhood on up, from the Basil Rathbone movies to dozens of cartoon episodes. The unflappable eccentric smarty-pants seemed an admirable role model. Where’s my magnifying glass?
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Annotated Edition. Hardback.
The Annotated Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens.

With the classic Charles Leech illustrations, and many others. With an Introduction, Notes, and Bibliography by Michael Patrick Hearn. Another lifelong influence, with no less than three animated adaptations during my childhood, as well as the Alastair Sim movie. Inescapable at Christmas time. The annotations clarify many of the everyday Victorian references and explicate some of the more obscure humor.
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Classic. Novel. Annotated. Hardback.
The Annotated Dracula, by Bram Stoker.
Introduction, Notes, and Bibliography by Leonard Wolf (of “A Dream of Dracula” fame), with Illustrations by Satty, as well as many contemporary pictures to illustrate places and items of the time, and frames from film adaptations of the book. I must admit I out-and-out stole this book. I stole many library books when I was in high school. A surprising number, really. I can only plead that I was a very insecure person at the time (even more insecure than I am now, I mean), I believed no-one else cared for the books more than I, and I had already seen many of my favorite books vanish into the past and I saw no means of recovering them, (this was so long before ordering over the internet was a concept, and even before I considered trying to order them from a bookstore – besides which, I was so poor). That being said, I knew it was wrong, and it became a terrible habit, to where I was even taking books I didn’t care about that much. But to get back to the book, it allowed me to finally get into Dracula, and is still the only copy I care to read it in. Wolf’s annotations are like having a murmuring expert’s voice feeding you smooth information as you read and coming to your aid when things are most puzzling. It’s no wonder I was enamored. [My copy lacks this jacket.]
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Annotated. Novel. Hardback.
The Annotated Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley.
Annotated by Leonard Wolf, terrible art by Marcia Huyette. With Maps, Drawings, and Photographs. The text is the original 1818 edition, before Mary tarted it up and softened it for the 1831 edition. The annotations enliven the somewhat turgid prose, and act as a semi-biography of Mary as it explores her influences and allusions. Just the sort of smarty-pants stuff I like to read. It is sort of a companion counterpart to “The Annotated Dracula”, and I found it years later (quite recently, in fact) at Half-Price books. Reading it has been like a blast from the past; it is one of those books that I sometimes find that I WOULD have read at a certain period if it had been available to me. The boobies in the Huyette 70’s-style ‘art’ explain why it wasn’t at high school. I used to have a paperback with a Karloff-inspired cover. This made it obsolete. [My copy lacks this jacket.]
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Novel. Annotated. Hardback.
The Annotated Mother Goose, with an Introduction and Notes by William S. Baring Gould and Cecil Baring-Gould.
“Illustrated by Caldecott, Crane, Greenaway, Rackham, Parrish, and Historical Woodcuts.” Read this first in the college library, and as soon as I found a copy, bought it. An exhaustive collection of the classic rhymes, both famous and obscure, and fascinating notes on the folklore, history, and local associations that they invoke. Rivalled only by Iona and Peter Opie’s Oxford collection and surpasses them in illustration. A glorious browser and resource. I remember having Kenny read from it to me while I washed dishes, on the eve of him leaving for Florida. There’s a tape recording of this somewhere in my stuff.
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Folklore. Annotated. Hardback.
Lewis Carroll’s “The Hunting of the Snark”, Illustrated by Henry Holiday.
Includes “The Annotated Snark by Martin Gardner”, The Designs for the Snark by Charles Mitchell, The Listing of the Snark by Selwyn H. Goodacre” and was edited by James Tanis and John Dooley. I love the Snark; I had Kenny read it to me once while I cleaned up the garage. That was a thing I did: did people’s work for them so I could get them to read books that I thought they’d Enjoy. Mom read me most of “The Lord of the Rings” while I painted the house on Loop Drive before Kelsey was born. I bought this annotated edition at the college bookstore, where its jacket was already a little torn.
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Humorous Poem. Annotated. Hardback.
The Annotated Ancient Mariner: The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
“Illustrated by Gustave Dore, with an Introduction and Notes by Martin Gardner.” I read this compelling supernatural ballad for the first time in high school and became entranced by its incantatory cadence’s wild imagery. Dore was already pretty familiar to me through the reproduction of his work in just about every “monster” book produced in the 70’s (copyright free). That I could find them in an inexpensive annotated edition at Half-Price Books was cake. I loves me an annotated edition. Besides the Notes (revealing much about Coleridge and his circle) there are some large reproductions of the plates, showing off the fine detail.
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Poetry. Annotated. Hardback.
 The Annotated Brothers Grimm, Edited with a Preface and Notes by Maria Tatar.
Not the complete Grimm’s fairy tales of course, but the major stories, and a few of the stranger and more problematic tales. I used to have a complete edition, put together by Jack Zipes, which I gave to Kameron. I have to either get it back (no matter that it’s a worse shape now) or find another copy (not difficult; it turns up at Half-Price fairly regularly). Anyway, full of good notes and classic illustrators, like Hermann Vogel. One of the beautiful Norton editions, with gilded covers.
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Annotated Edition. Fairy Tales. Hardback.
The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition, By Lewis Carroll.
Introduction and Notes by Martin Gardner. Original Illustrations by John Tenniel. Has both Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, and Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There. Includes the deleted section, A Wasp in a Wig. A portion devoted to screen adaptations of Alice. There were older versions of this (I had one), but this is Definitive. One of the beautiful Norton editions, with gilded covers. Alice is just one of those cultural milestones that has no need of explanation, though I have to admit I never read the actual book until high school; Tenniel’s illustrations freaked me out a little when I was young.
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Annotated. Children’s Book. Hardback.
The Annotated Wizard of Oz, by L. Frank Baum.
Edited with an Introduction and Notes by Michael Patrick Hearn. Preface by Martin Gardner. Pictures by W. W. Denslow. The Wizard of Oz is foundational to my imagination, from the yearly showing of the MGM movie to my first Whitman copy of the book when I could hardly even read to the constant new editions I buy when a brilliant new illustrator interprets it. I wanted to get an older edition of this annotated but I’m glad I didn’t; this is much prettier. One of the beautiful Norton editions, with gilded covers. Much about Baum and Oz, much about Denslow, much about the cultural impact of Oz. A scholarly and insightful look at a childhood classic.
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Annotated Edition. Novel. Hardback.
The Annotated Peter Pan: The Centennial Edition, by J. M. Barrie.
Edited with an Introduction and Notes by Maria Tatar. Illustrated from many different editions, and photos from Barrie’s life. As a book, “Peter Pan” has gone through some strange permutations, including “The Little White Bird”, “Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens”, and the play itself, which came before this novelized version. There is much biographical detail about Barrie and his career, and what might seem his almost cursed relationship with the family of the boy that Peter was based on. I had little to do with “Peter Pan” beyond the Disney version for years (Mom had some old kids records’ she got as a little girl when the movie just came out; we played them quite a bit when we were kids. I remember how wistful she was when ‘Your Mother and Mine’ played; probably thinking about her relationship with Nanny). In college I became quite interested in the history of children’s literature, especially that period that started to romanticize childhood, so I read the book at last, confusing as its history was. This edition also addresses its cultural impact, its TV and movie adaptations, and psychological insights. A meditation on life, death, and the poignant wonder and sterility of never growing up. One of the beautiful Norton editions, with gilded covers.
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Annotated Edition. Children’s Book. Hardback.
The Annotated Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame.
Edited with a Preface and Notes by Annie Gauger. Introduction by Brian Jacques. While I had known Mr. Toad since at least the 1970 Rankin/Bass TV show and the Disney Big Golden book in 3rd grade, I never actually read the novel until middle school, when I was enchanted as much by the poetic pastorals of the River and Woods as by the comic adventures of Toad. The tension that Mole feels between the wanderlust and adventure of Toad and the domesticity usually exemplified by Rat and his comfy lodgings is the same force that constantly bedeviled Grahame and led to his writing works in escapist style as he worked a dreary job in the Bank of England. The headstrong Toad was based on his son Alistair, who, almost in a tradition of such literary children, died an early tragic death at the age of 20. This edition is full of illustrations from all over (especially by Ernest Shepherd) and amounts to a biography of Grahame almost on its own. One of the beautiful Norton editions, with gilded covers.
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Annotated Edition. Children’s Classic. Hardback.
The Annotated Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain. Edited with an Introduction and Notes by Michael Patrick Hearn.
Illustrated by F. W. Kemble and with photographs and other drawings. I didn’t really care much for Mark Twain’s work through the years, except for a sneaky attachment to the Classics Illustrated “A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court”, and that was more for the ambiance of knights and castles. There was no Fantasy in Tom Sawyer, either, except if you count what went on in that romantic noodle of his. There was, of course, “The New Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, an American live-action and animated television series that originally aired on NBC from September 15, 1968, through February 23, 1969,” but that hardly counts. There was of course “Tom Sawyer … a 1973 American musical film adaptation of Mark Twain's 1876 boyhood adventure story, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, directed by Don Taylor and starring Johnny Whitaker as the titular characterJodie Foster as Becky Thatcher, and Jeff East as Huckleberry Finn. The film was produced by Reader's Digest. The film's screenplay and songs were written by Robert B. Sherman and Richard M. Sherman who would go on to provide more award-winning music for the 1974 sequel Huckleberry Finn.” – Wikipedia. But that was hardly a recommendation. We also had two Whitman’s Classics copies of the books. As I got older, I guess I considered Huckleberry Finn more in Mike’s wheelhouse of American literature. Its very status as a classic scared me off. Of course, I eventually read ‘Finn’ (I don’t think I’ve ever brought myself to have a complete read-through of ‘Tom’[though I have now, as of September 2020]), and this Annotated edition certainly helped clinch it for me. I’ve read quite a bit of Twain now. A journey by raft is well-cemented into my mind’s playing. One of the beautiful Norton editions, with gilded covers.
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Classic. Annotated. Hardback.
The Annotated Phantom Tollbooth, by Norton Juster. Illustrated by Jules Feiffer.
Annotations by Leonard S. Marcus. Ironically, not one of the beautiful Norton editions. “The Phantom Tollbooth is a children's fantasy adventure novel written by Norton Juster with illustrations by Jules Feiffer, published in 1961 by Random House (USA). It tells the story of a bored young boy named Milo who unexpectedly receives a magic tollbooth one afternoon and, having nothing better to do, drives through it in his toy car, transporting him to the Kingdom of Wisdom, once prosperous but now troubled. There, he acquires two faithful companions and goes on a quest to restore to the kingdom its exiled princesses—named Rhyme and Reason—from the Castle in the Air. In the process, he learns valuable lessons, finding a love of learning.” – Wikipedia. A modern classic, most popular during the 60’s and 70’s (There was a movie animation adaptation by Chuck Jones in 1970, just too early for us to see it; watched it on TMC years later. Feiffer called it ‘drivel’. Starred Butch Patrick – Eddie Munster and Lidsville - as hero Milo.) This edition replaced a raggedy old Book Club edition.
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Annotated. Children’s Classic. Hardback.
The Screwtape Letters: Annotated Edition, by C. S. Lewis.
Annotations by Paul McCusker. It was Lewis, so I had to have it, though at this point there is little new that the notes can reveal to me. “[I] delight in such things, if they were accurate; I like to have books filled with things that I already know, set out fair and square with no contradictions.” – Not-Quite-Tolkien. I like an annotated edition. No illustrations, though, not even photos.
Ranking: Essential.
File Code: Annotated Edition. Hardback.

No comments:

Post a Comment