Friday, January 14, 2022

Memories of My Tolkien Obsession

 The other day I was showing my niece Kelsey (who loves working with jigsaw puzzles) my Tolkien puzzles. I opened one up to look inside for the first time in a long time, and found a folder containing not only my materials from The Fellowship (a fan club established by Tolkien Enterprises in the wake of Bakshi's film) but various other clippings and memoribilia related to Middle-earth and Tolkien milestones, like the 50th anniversay of the publication of The Hobbit. After sorting and re-arranging eveything, I felt inspired to post some items from my Tolkien memories.

Just found a new photo from the Hobbit float in the 1977 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. It shows a rather chubby Bard, the back of a horned Goblin, one of the Dwarves, and Gollum (?) next to him.

Items from "The Fellowship" membership package. That gold seal under the bumpersticker was originally affixed to the "parchment" document.
I saw the Hutsah Puppet production of "The Hobbit" in 1981 at SHS. That's Bilbo in the lower right hand corner.
When the Peter Jackson LOTR movies were first being released in theaters, these little mini-busts were offered in prize machines in the lobby. I have a few, but not all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment