Sunday, January 16, 2022

More on The Shadow Library

 

So, for the past couple of days I’ve been thinking a lot about the Shadow Library, that is, all the books I once owned but have since either sold or given away. Every now and then I remember a volume or two and post it here. Last night I went back and tried to make a count of what was there and came up with a round number of 850 books that were no longer with me, including copies of books I have in other editions. Now I wish I had included the titles and authors to better pinpoint them; perhaps I’ll go back and do that or something like make a list and publish that. When the question arose in my mind, I had to squash the compulsion to calculate how much money it would take to replace every volume, if I ever had the foolishness to try to do so.

“Rude Tales and Glorious” by Nicholas Seare was a gift from my friend Wylie Reeves when I was putting out “The Broadsheet of Fantasy Literature”, a sort of ‘in real life’ fanzine I was working on in the early Eighties. I never had the nerve to tell him the book was a little too smutty and sarcastic and not nearly fantastic enough for me.  


No comments:

Post a Comment