Sunday, May 29, 2022

"Bob's Book": Chapter Two, Page Five


 

“What did he mean by an examination, Pa?” I asked, my voice hushed. “Am I going to have to take some kind of test?”

Pa hesitated a moment, then went on cheerfully.

“No, not really. Not like a school test, anyway. They’ll look you over, maybe ask you a few questions about your goals and expectations, what you already know about the business, that sort of thing. But there’s only one real qualification to join the Bureau, and you have it.”

“And what’s that?”

“Not for me to say, Bob,” he smiled. “That’s Mr. Williams’ job. And here we are at his door.”

I remember thinking it looked a rather plain door for the secretary of a department. Pa knocked briefly, then walked right in without waiting for an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment