Tuesday, May 31, 2022

"Bob's Book": Chapter Two, Page Seven

 

I looked around the room.  There are some framed maps on the wall, a dark painting of a ship in a storm, and a couple portraits of people I didn’t recognize. I slowly chose a seat in the corner and sat, shivering a little. The stove was not lit in the mid-November weather, and the room was chilly. As I sat huddling into myself, I sank into a wary reverie.

Well, here I was, in the belly of the Bureau, and all alone. Not quite how I expected to face my interrogation. I knew next to nothing about Mr. Williams, but if he was anything like Mr. Frobisher, I could expect a pretty thorough interview and a right going over. I sat wishing Pa was there to help smooth things along. And then there was a knock on the door.

It made me jump. I leaned forward a bit, half-expecting Pa to be back or Mr. Williams to come walking in, but a second knock made me realize it couldn’t be either. I cleared my throat.

“Come in?” My voice sounded very uncertain in the empty room.

No comments:

Post a Comment