Monday, May 30, 2022

"Bob's Book": Chapter Two, Page Six

 It was just as well he didn’t, because there was no-one there. There was only a main desk with a green-cushioned chair, benches on either side of the door, and a couple of chairs on the walls to right and left. A skinny upright stove and a smaller door that must have led to an inner chamber behind the desk were the other salient features of the room.

Pa looked around, non-plussed.

“Huh.” Something on the desk caught his eye, and he walked forward and picked up a note lying there.

“Hm. ‘Back in 20 minutes,’” he read. He dropped the card. “Well, all right, we can wait …”

There was a sudden knock on the door. We turned to see a very worried looking man peering in, hanging on the door. I came to know him later as another agent, Mr. Carp. His dark hair was slicked back with sweat. 

“Hullo, Chase. Thank God you’re back. We need you right away!”

“Can’t it wait?” Pa began, raising a hand to indicate me. “I’ve just brought …”

“Sorry,” he gulped hastily. “It’s a Level Three, and we don’t have anyone else qualified in-house right now. We’re lucky you walked in when you did. Come on!”

“Level … ” Pa turned to me. “Listen, you wait right here. I’ll be back as soon as I can. When Mr. Williams comes …”

The agent grabbed his arm.

“Let’s go!”

He pulled Pa away. Pa gave me a quick reassuring nod, then I was out of his thoughts and he was on the case. The door swung shut with a bang behind them, and I was alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment