Thursday, May 26, 2022

Six from The Seguin Public Library Book Store

 

Life With Father, by Clarence Day (This edition 1947, The Sun Dial Press. Movie Tie-In.)
Common Sense, by Thomas Paine (Penguin)
Music For Chameleons. by Truman Capote (Vintage International)
The Cost of Discipleship, by Dietrich Bonhoeffer (Macmillan)
Encyclopedia Brown: Boy Detective, by Donald J. Sobol (Puffin, #1 in the series)
Travels with Charley in Search of America, by John Steinbeck (50th Anniversary Edition. Penguin)

Today Kelsey, Kameron, and I made a lightning-quick trip to the Seguin Public Library Book Store (and by coincidence passed by the future Pecantown Books and Brews, noting its location for later visits). I bought the kids a couple of books and got six myself. Why these six? Most of them are not really the kinds of books I would usually choose, but each one spoke to me for some reason. Maybe because they reminded me of old times, even if they were of an element of old times I hadn't really participated in. Maybe something in them made me want to broaden my experiences a bit, and their low prices helped me to indulge that urge.

The only one I am even a bit familiar with is the Encyclopedia Brown book; the series was very popular even into middle school. Though this is a new cover, it still has the old interior illustrations by Leonard Shortall. There are 29 volumes of Encyclopedia Brown adventure books, with many related books of puzzles, games, and facts. If this had not been Volume Number One, I probably wouldn't have bought it, but as it is, it is ... what's the phrase ... culturally significant to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment