Sunday, June 19, 2022

"Bob's Book": Chapter Two, Page Fourteen

 

“Then what is in the basket, Miss?” I interrupted. I figured it was about time to step in and defuse the situation; also, I was truly rather hungry and was being driven to distraction by the smell. “It smells wonderful.”

The girl looked gratified at my appreciation.

“Well, I didn’t know how long this might take, so I brought along some fresh-baked hot-cross buns.” She lifted the corner of the cloth covering the basket to reveal the glossy treats inside. There was a fresh waft of scent. “I find there is no situation, whether happy or disappointing, that can’t be improved by a little treat.” She closed the corner.

“Aha! Bribery!” Rank sprang to the attack. “Leave it to a female to try to wriggle her way in anywhere with a little kitchen grease!”

“I deny the accusation.” Her disdain was calm. “And to disprove it, I offer you gentlemen to partake.” She held the basket out to us at arm’s length. She looked at Rank, head held high. “I certainly have nothing to gain from you, sir.”

No comments:

Post a Comment