Monday, June 6, 2022

"Bob's Book": Chapter Two, Page Twelve

I could tell that as far as Rank was concerned, she needn’t have bothered. The bright red hair that peeked out of her bonnet, her almost flat physique, and the large freckles on her face certainly did not conform to the ideals of beauty of the day. I was a little more curious about her, particularly about why she was there. I watched while she set her basket down on the seat next to her and fidgeted it into place.

“Aren’t you a little early to peddle your wares, dear?” Rank said, eyes askance. “Lunch isn’t for an hour yet.”

The girl didn’t answer but drew herself up even more distantly. She cut her eyes at Rank under lowered lids, sniffed, and looked away.

“Whatever you’re selling, I’ll buy some,” I said amiably. “I haven’t had anything since five A.M. myself.”

           “I am not selling anything,” she answered stiffly. Her accent was Irish; not fresh off the boat, I reckoned, but second generation at best. “I am here for a job.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment