Tuesday, June 28, 2022

"Bob's Book": Chapter Two, Page Sixteen

 I finished my bun, smacking a bit with satisfaction.

“That was delicious, Miss.” I looked over at Rank, expecting agreement, but he was just staring fixedly at the desk, as if he could make the Secretary materialize by sheer force of will. I looked at the girl, and she was just as pointedly snubbing Rank. It was awkward; I was effectively in the frozen zone between. Well, I couldn’t be having that.

“I’m Bob Bellamy, by the way,” I chirped up, bowing my head a bit and indicating my seatmate. “And this here’s Howard Rank. I’M sure we’re mighty glad to meet you, Miss ...?”

“Miss Rosemary Calhoun, Mr. Bellamy.” She seemed to unbend a shade.

“Sakes, Miss Calhoun, my Pa is Mr. Bellamy,” I said sociably. “You can just call me Bob, if you like.” I got to admit I blushed a bit. I wasn’t normally so forward with the girls.

She smiled. She looked charmed, as if I were a precocious child.

“Very well … Bob. And my good friends usually call me Rose.”

“Well, ain’t that cozy,” the older boy said dryly. He tilted his head back proudly. “People simply call me Rank.”

“Well, it certainly fits you, sir.” Her voice was civil enough, but she wrinkled her nose slightly, enough to hint at her hidden meaning.

    “Why, you …!” Rank bridled, then caught himself and settled back angrily, dignified but scored against. I found out later that this was an old joke on his name that had worn a deep sore into his mind, and always, well, rankled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment