Wednesday, June 8, 2022

"Bob's Book": Chapter Two, Page Thirteen

 

Rank was amused.

“I think the scullery is in the back, child. This is the Secretary’s office.”

“I know it is,” she said. She glared at him defiantly. “I am here to be an agent.”

Rank paused, flabbergasted for a moment, then his face wrenched in disgust.

“Ye gods. Infants, and girls now, too.”

“I beg your pardon.” She promptly pulled out a pamphlet from her pocket, as if she had been expecting to argue this point. “But it is explicitly stated that there are positions for both men and women.”

“But a lady agent …”

“Father O’Connor assures me there are such in the Department.”

“Who’s Father O’Connor?” I asked.

She spoke to me but continued to frown intensely at Rank.

“He’s priest at our church. He’s had necessity to deal with the Bureau on occasion. When I told him about my condition … ” She suddenly turned red under her freckles and coughed. “He … he said I might find a position here.”

Now the older boy looked interested.

“What condition?” There was insinuation in his tone.

The girl’s face went even redder.

“That’s none of your business!” she snapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment