Monday, September 12, 2022

Doomed by a Puppet: Rememberies

 

In the 1967 broadcasting year there was an hour-long television show called Off to See the Wizard, which was basically a showcase for family films. It was framed by interstitial animations by Chuck Jones featuring Oz characters. I don’t remember ever seeing it personally. Here is a sample of those segments.

Off to See the Wizard Excerpts - YouTube

Anyway, in 1969 -1970 (my First Grade year) one girl brought a hand-puppet tie-in of the show to school for show-and-tell. It was to me, at the time, the most advanced and fascinating and beautiful toy I had ever seen. I begged and pleaded until she let me hold it for a while, and I stood pulling the drawstring of the talk-box obsessively, listening to the canned phrases until the thing started to hiccup. One phrase I particularly remember after all these years is “Glug -glug. Oil tastes good!” I handed it back to her, hoping I hadn’t permanently damaged it.

Mattel pull string "off to see the wizard" hand puppet - YouTube

Ever since that day I longed to have my own Off to See the Wizard hand-puppet. I still do. While it is now available on several online stores, the trick is finding one that is in good working condition for a reasonable price. Until I can, I will have to make do with memories and pictures. Perhaps that is all I should be content with, anyway. Will it really resolve an old backstory? Can it truly help the yearning six-year-old at this late date? Would actually having it in my hands have the punch of that long-expected thrill?

Yes. Yes, it would. Gimme!

No comments:

Post a Comment