Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Some Memories from Seguin High

 

The Golden Book of the Mysterious, by Jane Werner Watson and Sol Chaneles. I'm sure I had seen Alan Lee's work before, but this is the first time I became aware of his name and could identify him.
The Illustrated Edgar Allan Poe, by (of course) Edgar Allan Poe, and illustrated by Wilfried "Satty", the same artist who had done my beloved The Annotated Dracula. Probably the first place I read any Poe beyond the ubiquitous selections in English textbooks.
Weland: Smith of the Gods, by Ursula Synge. A novelistic re-telling of the story of Weland (or Volund, or Wayland), I read it as a further exploration of Norse Myth. The first place I ever heard of Weland was as the character of John Wayland Smith in The Dark is Rising.

No comments:

Post a Comment