Tuesday, September 20, 2022

The Books of Briesemeister

 

I was introduced to a lot of new books when I went to middle school (A. J. Briesemeister Middle School, to give it its full title). None more influential than The Hobbit, of course, to which I had a sort of introduction in Third Grade in play form. Actually reading it was a revelation and an enchantment. Almost as engaging was Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising, which brought ancient mysteries into the modern life of an eleven year-old boy. I moved out into exploring the Arthurian legend in various forms, reading ghost stories, ancient myths, and the modern myths of hidden monsters and strange visitors. I kept up old friendships like Charlie Brown, of course. I saw The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe on the shelves but didn't read it at the time. I believe I found that pink border a little off-putting. Anyway, here is a gaggle of the books that I remember, many of which I have today, and many with the gloriously Seventies-ish covers I saw them in. Looking at them is like looking at a snapshot of my juvenile soul.  






















No comments:

Post a Comment