Saturday, June 3, 2023

Go Ahead, Make My Music!

Back when I was a grade-schooler in McQueeney (say first and second grade), we had a music class for combined grades under Mr. Owen (or was it Owens?). We would gather in the cafeteria for instruction and give singing a shot. I remember that at first I was a pretty enthusiastic vocalist until my tuneless braying moved my brother Mike (who sat next to me) to rebuke me into virtual muteness. I do not blame him (although I totally do) for my continued stunted musical development.

Anyway, we sang plenty of popular folk songs (we were barely out of the Sixties) with a slight emphasis on multicultural and international tunes. I remember at one school gathering there was a special presentation of “This Land is Your Land”, with the more controversial verses suppressed, of course. Here are the lyrics of four of the songs that echo in my hollow head to this day.

 

EL RANCHO GRANDE

Allá en el rancho grande,
allá donde vivía,
había una rancherita,
que alegre me decía;
que alegre me decía:
Te voy a hacer tus,
como los que usa el ranchero,
te los comienzo de lana,
te los acabo de cuero.

I love to roam out yonder,
Out where the buffalo wander...
(Yee hee hee)
Free as the eagle flyin,
I'm ropin' and a-tyin',
I'm ropin' and a tyin'...
Yippee my ranch and my cattle,
Far from the great city's rattle,
Give me a big herd to battle,
For I just love herdin' cattle.

 

THE KEEPER (AMONG THE LEAVES SO GREEN-O)

The keeper did a-shooting go
And under his cloak he carried a bow
All for to shoot at the merry little doe
Among the leaves so green-o!

Jackie boy!
Master!
Sing ye well?
Very well!
Hey down!
Ho down!
Derry derry down
Among the leaves so green-o!

To my hey down down!
To my ho down down!
Hey down!
Ho down!
Derry derry down
Among the leaves so green-o!

[I have to say I never realized the folk-lorish undertones of this song until I looked up the lyrics, with a hunter trying to get his concealed ‘weapon’ into a female deer (dear).]

 

KOOKABURRA

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree,

Merry merry king of the bush is he.

Laugh, Kookaburra, laugh, Kookaburra,

Gay your life must be!

[Written by Marion Sinclair in 1934. Sung as a round.]


Hey, Ho! Nobody Home

Hey, ho, nobody home,
Meat nor drink nor money have I none.
Yet I will be merry, very merry.
Hey, ho, nobody home.

[Traditional English folk tune; also sung as a round. John reminded me of this one. Can also be sung as 'Anybody home?']


No comments:

Post a Comment