Monday, August 14, 2023

Out of the Toybox (7) Dragon Quest and Anime

 

Dragon Quest 8 is a game that Kameron got for his birthday in 2009, and I never stopped playing it obsessively, over and over again, until my PS2 pooped out a few months ago. I would rename The Hero (I remember the first time he was Walnivar) and choose to focus on different skill sets every time, in some games seeking out every corner for every treasure, completing every mini game, killing every monster, trying every alchemy recipe, and leveling up to 99 whenever I could. The storyline was compelling, the playability boundless, the ‘world’ within the game wide but somehow homelike. As I played, it was like reading a favorite story again and again, except with some variety to keep things lively.  

“Back when the Dragon Quest VIII action figures came out four or five years ago I was interested in them, but not so enthusiastic as to order them cold. Then [Kameron] got the game for Christmas last year, and it just sucked me in. I had to have the action figures; the only place I could get them now was on eBay from sellers in China! Prices for each ranged from about $20 to $30, and then shipping, of course. They include: The Hero, with sword; Yangus, with axe; Jessica, with wand and whip; and Angelo, with rapier. The characters were designed by the same guy who does Dragon Ball Z.” - from Power of Babel, 08/14/2010.

Inuyasha began to air on Cartoon Network in 2002, and I found its application of Japanese folklore and strong action enough to carry its general ‘will they or won’t they’ romance plotline. Toynami began releasing a line of action figures in 2005. As you can see, the heroine Kagome is unfortunately in pieces. There is Inuyasha himself in demon and human form (white and black hair), and two Shessomaru (one has an unfortunate mouth like a red slash; but I had to get the boxed set because it had that little green Jaken figure). I never finished the show or rewatched it much.   

 Man, the 2000’s seem to have really been my big anime stage. I had started watching Dragonball Z on Cartoon Network in the late Nineties (we’ll be coming to that extensive toy line eventually) and that started my interest. So I actually watched Samurai Champloo all the way through and eventually got the complete DVD set, but first got those three figures of the main characters on the bottom row. I bought Mugen at Z’s Toys and More, a beautiful little store that set up just over the road from us, full of action figures and comics. Tom Villareal, the proprietor, got hold of a Jin and Fuu for me. The line is from Jazwares Inc. and was released in 2008. That’s what I loved about the place; I would just cross a little field and be there. He could always order whatever I wanted, and we would hang out and talk toys and cartoon shows. It was a sad day for me when he moved the store farther away in town.

The top row figures are from Full Metal Alchemist (the Elric Brothers – Edward and Alphonse - and Winry Rockbell) released by Square Enix Play Arts in 2005, apparently. Could that date possibly be right? It doesn’t seem so long ago. I liked FMA (I have the first 5 DVDs) and was moved by it, but never got to the end of the series.

Flanking the others are two female action figures, sort of spares, if you will. The one with the sword is from Fate/Stay Night, which I never saw; the other came with a poleax and has tiny wings, which keep coming off. At this late date I have no idea who she is.


No comments:

Post a Comment