Saturday, December 16, 2023

The Anchoress's Rule and Holy Maidenhead: Preface by J. R. R. Tolkien















I've hesitated for a long while over whether I should share this Preface. It is the only twelve original pages by Tolkien in the Ancrene Wisse and Hali Madhed, first published in 1929 (that 'd' in Madhed should be a 'thorn', the Middle English  figure for the 'th' sound). Then I decided that a) I had bought a copy of the book, b) I had cadged the pages off a site that had already published them, c) I am not monetized, d) they are of an abstract and scholarly nature, though the fact that Tolkien wrote them makes them of a broader interest, and e) I am tired of storing them on my computer. If the Tolkien Estate objects (a formerly august body that I have no wish to antagonize), I will gladly and eagerly remove them from my obscure little blog. In the meantime, take what dry and attenuated satisfaction from them that you may. Embiggen them for easier reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment