Monday, December 11, 2023

He Has Arrived!



After expectantly waiting from Friday morning to Monday afternoon, my package finally arrived between 4 and 4:30 PM, just when I was making supper. I had rather expected it with the morning mail, and there were four boxes there to taunt me, just not mine. During the holiday season, apparently, loads are sometimes split to facilitate delivery. I had been tense about whether it would get here at all. Some of my orders have gone astray over the years, and experience would suggest this would not be an item that would be easy to replace. 

But now, after easily 23 years of searching, I've finally found and appropriated another lion squeaky toy on the same model as our old 'Omi'. Besides the paint flip which I had noted before, 'Imo' seems taller and a little skinnier, and certainly paler, almost as if he has had a bit of a scrub sometime in his probably 60 years. It makes me wonder if his eyes and muzzle (they are a little crooked) might be a repaint. One thing he does have that Omi doesn't: a squeaker. But Omi still has a rattling collection of ancient crayons we stuffed down its squeaker hole, oh so many years ago.

'Imo' is going to my brother John for Christmas. Although I found it compulsory to find and buy it after all these years, I don't feel the necessity to keep it. Maybe to just keep it in the family. Perhaps some day we'll find out the manufacturer's name and the exact year it was produced. Now that it is safely in the fold I can relax with a sigh and turn my attention to other things again.

No comments:

Post a Comment